Monday, November 14, 2011

Shapely Shoulders

First things first. Now, I was asked a great question in the comments of THIS post. Here it is, "I voted on both too. thanks for telling us about the way you set up your workouts. would you maybe write out an example of what days you work what muscle groups or do you do whole body training most days? and do you do abs every day or just one day? thanks amy! i am loving all your helpful advice:) "  -Jackie
Thanks Jackie for following me and for asking that GREAT question!  My answer is, I do full body workouts everyday with an emphasis on a major muscle group. With that said, I work my abs everyday, however there is one day I focus  the majority of my work out on my abs. Every once in while I do concentrated work outs to build a particular area or group. So, I'm giving you a 15 minute shapely shoulder work out! Do this work out with enough weight to challenge yourself. It's perfect for at home as well. If you don't have weights grab 2  big cans of spaghetti sauce and get to work. It's set up like this...

Shoulder press- 3 sets of 10 reps, rest 60 sec  & repeat 2 times
1/2 bent over lateral raises- 3 sets of 10 reps, rest 60 sec & repeat 2 times
Y press- 2 sets of 18 reps, rest 30 sec & repeat
Arnold press- 2 sets of 8-10 reps, rest 20 sec & repeat

I demonstrated these lifts here...ENJOY!


Ok, I love feedback! Please give this a try and let me know what you think!

Wellness-
I can't help but over hear women talk about their weight loss progress. When one friend asks, "How much did you lose this week?" The other responds "Only one pound!" then they continue on about how disappointed they are and how they want so much more. Well, lets put that one pound into perspective shall we...Take a look at this!


This is what one pound of FAT looks like...I'll take one pound of fat loss any day OR week!

Perspective ladies!

Here is a little trick I would like to share with those of you who may be struggling with what you eat.
Take a picture of what you eat, BEFORE you eat it. You don't have to post it or share it with anyone. Just look at it before you dig in. What this does is make you think about what you are eating. Take a second to think about what your support system would think about this meal. (whoever that person or group is) This will help slow down your impulse to eat whatever and whenever...Try it!

I will leave the polls open a few more days! Don't forget to vote!

CONTEST: Do this shapely shoulder work out and then let me know what you thought! 5 points Also, recruit a friend to follow my blog. They don't have to join the contest. Just let me know what new follower is your "recruited" friend. 10 points 

Thanks and remember...

Strong is the new beautiful - Nike

12 comments:

  1. whew! my heart is pumping! i just did your workout while watching the biggest loser :) it took me just under 18 minutes.
    i was was feeling the burn during the 2nd set and i'm sure i will really feel it tomorrow! i had never heard of the "arnold press" before and i don't know if it was because it was the last workout or what, but it was tough!

    your tip about taking a picture of your food sparked a thought in my head....what about eating in front of a mirror? i'm sure that would help me slow down and not eat so fast.

    i posted this to my fb, too:
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1092218935

    ReplyDelete
  2. i recruited my husband, jackson hallows.
    hope that's ok! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just finished . . . hurts to type jk. So all I had lying around my house were three pound weights, and at first I thought that was going to be way too easy. As I got to the last sets of the different lifts, I was very ashamed to admit that my pathetic three pounders were making my arms shake! Um, can I blame my epic weakness on all the muscle loss I experienced from two extended periods of bed rest in the last four years? Wow. I will be filing this away to rotate into my workouts. Can't wait for more of your tips!

    I would especially love to read about your thoughts on food to fuel workouts. How much protein do you need etc. I tried following the Tracy Anderson diet which she recommends with her workouts, and it was insane. I was on the verge of passing out and did not feel healthy. So I would love to hear your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yep, totally feelin' the soreness this morning. i posted this over at my blog: http://jacksonallison.blogspot.com/2011/11/shapely-shoulders.html

    thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i liked this workout. didn't realize just how weak my shoulders had gotten. i felt pretty sore yesterday {i did it tuesday night}, but it's getting better today. as always, thanks for the great work out advice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting this workout. It was a really good burn for me and noticeably a muscle group that I need to address. I appreciate all of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, I did recruit someone. I will comment again on this post if she comes on board.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks so much amy! you are so helpful. after i saw you at the gym i went home and looked up the workout and did it at home. holy cow! talk about burn out. my shoulders are sore today. those y presses are so hard! one more question... how long does your workout ususally last from start to finish? i get burnt out and start missing my kids around 1 hour 15 minutes give or take. is that enough time to get noticable results? should i cut the cardio portion out of my every day routine? i love the idea of taking a picture of my food!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have recruited two people just by posting on facebook. does that count or do they need to be newly recruited since this post?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice workout! I'm always looking for something new like this. Also liked the demo video to show me how to do these. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did the workout-the previous poster was right, those Y-presses are hard! Thanks for the workout ideas and I agree that we should be proud of losing even 1 pound. Sometimes it's easy to get discouraged when you are not seeing the quick results you would like, but a loss is still moving you in the right direction and should be celebrated.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your participation!