Monday, November 21, 2011

The misunderstood CARBS

First of all, thanks for voting on the polls this past week.  I have to admit, the carb question was kind of a "trick" question. All of you got half the question right by answering, "depends on what carbs you eat".  The other half of the answer is, "depends on WHEN you eat them".  Now remember, this is all information I have studied and practiced myself.  I'm not a nutritionist but I think most would agree with me. Let's get into it! 

So many people have this preconceived notion that carbs make you fat.  This is NOT true! It's the over consumption of calories and not enough exertion of energy.  Carbs are in fact essential to your weight loss goals. They are the main source of energy for your body. They help regulate your body’s blood sugar levels.  There are two classifications of carbs, simple and complex. Simple carbs are easily digested and include foods like, fruits and honey.  Complex carbs are more of the starchy foods like whole grains. Now, some of you are wondering, "how much do I GET to eat?"  The answer is; it all depends on your goals.  For fat loss and muscle gain, carbs should generally make up the highest % of your macronutrient calories (50%-70% daily).  1 gram of carb is equal to 4 calories. Here is a list of carbs. Ideally you want to consume most of your daily intake from the upper part of this list.

·    Legumes: kidney beans, black beans, black-eyed peas, lima beans, red beans, marrowfat peas, chickpeas, pinto beans, butter beans, navy beans, lentils
·    Fruit: apples, oranges, apricots, peaches, pears, grapes, kiwi, mango, watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, rhubarb, plum, pineapple, papaya, grapefruit, grapes, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, cranberries, cherries
·    No-sugar added apple sauce
·    Light Yogurt (no sugar added)
·    Other Vegetables: artichoke, beets, pumpkin, rutabaga, squash
·    Whole Grain Breads: 100% Whole Wheat, Pumpernickel, Rye, Oat Bran, Buckwheat, Barley Kernal
·    Other Grains: barley, basmati, quinoa, 100% whole wheat tortilla wraps
·    Oatmeal, oat bran
·    Sweet potato, yam
·    Wild rice, brown rice
·    Couscous
·    Cornmeal
·    Cereals: All-Bran, Special K, Cheerios, Fiber One, Bran Chex, Bran Flakes
·    Pasta – any type
·    New potatoes
·    Corn, Peas, Parsnips
·    Bananas
NOTE: I NEVER count my fresh veggies! I eat as much of those glorious things as I can.

Now, let's talk about the "timing" of carb consumption.  There is tons of research out there that shows that
Glucose tolerance is highest in the morning. So, enjoy your oatmeal! Now, ideally the perfect scenario would be an am work out.  You would have your breakfast with a large portion of your carb intake about 1 hour before your work, and your post workout meal (1-2 hour window) would carry most of the rest. PERFECT! This is because your body, post work out, is prime for carb consumption just like in the a.m.  Now if you absolutely can't work out in the morning you can tweak this a bit. Have most of your carbs for lunch and afternoon snack, and then have the last bit post work out. Just remember, the absolute best times to consume carbs are in the morning and post work out!

Now, with Thanksgiving this week try to be extra active. If you aren't a major gym junkie and won't be hitting up the gym on Turkey day, go for a walk instead of taking a nap after the big meal. But, ENJOY your day, you deserve it! I will have your damage control 6 pack abs work out ready for you by the end of the week. :)

I just wanted to say how thankful I am for my health and the health of my family. It has been a good healthy year. I'm also thankful for you in sharing my passion for health and fitness.

"Appreciation can make a day, even change a life. Your willingness to put it into words is all that is necessary."
~Margaret Cousins~

CONTEST: Find my new page on facebook HERE and hit "like". If you aren't a facebook user, just forward this on to a friend and don't forget to let me know so I can give points. This will be worth 5 points!
Just a heads up, I'm thinking about doing a mid-way give-a-way! So, keep in mind that every time you "share" my post or blog or get someone to "like" my page on facebook, you get a point. (Just let me know you did it) fabfitwithfive@yahoo.com

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

7 comments:

  1. liked it! Thanks for the great post! I am about to do my second cross training work out since college:) I struggle with liking lifting...but I know I have plateaued even increasing mileage and speed (pr'd a 7 miler on Sat!). I still feel like I have 5-8 extra lbs hanging on and my upper body needs some serious attention:) Here I go.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I officially 'liked' your facebook page! ;) good luck with all the studying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I "liked" your facebook page! Also, thanks so much for this post. It was very informative considering that I have changed my normal routine to include several of your workouts as well as more carefully choosing my carbs and timing as to when to eat them. From doing this, I have already had a good deal of success towards my goal, so thank you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. like your page on facebook. good post! i try to eat 4-6 smaller meals a day and have a protein, veggies, a bit of healthy fat and complex carb with every meal. i will try replacing my afternoon/evening carbs with a veggie carb and see if i can lean out a bit. after thanksgiving of course! there is no way i am not eating rolls and potatoes and pie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked it too. Carbs are a complicated subject and I feel like I am well-informed about which carbs to eat but I hadn't considered the When to eat them before. Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked your page. I loved the info about the timing of eating carbs as well, keep the tips coming! Love it. Thanks for all the motivation. Some days you just need a little extra push :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your participation!